Publisher 2010 PTXT9.DLL problem – solution

It stumble across a weird problem with Microsoft Publisher 2010. After we installed Publisher 2010 at some computers, the users responded, that it doesn’t work. They could open Publisher without any problem, but if the click on a tab at the Publisher start screen, a message appeared, that ptxt9.dll could not be loaded.
After some research I found different KBs about replacing a corrupted PTXT9.dll and how you could extract it from the Publisher 2010 CD and so on. That didn’t help me, neither did regsrv32.exe PTXT9.dll help.
So I did the usual analysis with sysinternals procmon and procexp. I saw some strange access denied messages from the registry. After updating the registry ACL the problem still exists. Publisher was some kind of broken. So I went to the installed programs. After scrolling to Publisher I recognized, that Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus was installed as well. So I tried to uninstall Office, because Publisher is Part of the Office package (but was installed as a stand alone version). Maybe that has something to do with this problem. I was wondering, because Publisher worked like a charm after a reboot.
Happy about this I reinstalled Office via SCCM and started Publisher again… and it was broken again. Our Office installation had something to do with my broken Publisher. The first step guided me to the installed programs -> Office 2010 Professional Plus. I clicked „modify“ to change the features that come along with Office.
After searching for Microsoft Publisher at the installation options I recognized, that Microsoft Publisher was installed correctly (because I did a stand alone installation), but the .NET programming support underneath was not installed.
After I added .NET Support and finished the setup Publisher was working again and the Problem was solved, YaY!

2 Kommentare

  1. I had similar issues with certain Infopath files. I found that SCCM will not install or will remove the .NET programming support from Office when Office is installed via SCCM. Installing the .NET programming support manually for Infopath also resolved this issue.

  2. Thank you for your suggestion. This is a great solution as well.
    Meanwhile we fixed all our corrupt office installations (10 of ~8000… luckily)

Schreibe einen Kommentar

Deine E-Mail-Adresse wird nicht veröffentlicht. Erforderliche Felder sind mit * markiert

I accept that my given data and my IP address is sent to a server in the USA only for the purpose of spam prevention through the Akismet program.More information on Akismet and GDPR.

Diese Website verwendet Akismet, um Spam zu reduzieren. Erfahre mehr darüber, wie deine Kommentardaten verarbeitet werden.