Zum Inhalt

Monat: Oktober 2011

Powershell – SCCM – Readvertise a previously installed softwarepackage remotly (not from console)

Ever came to the situation, that you have to rerun an advertisement on a computer after a failed installation with SCCM? This could happen if you want to install flashplayer or adobe acrobat or some kind of software that is frequently used by the user. We had problems on installing software while wsus was installing its updates and the msi installer said „Hmm… perhaps, another installation is running already, so I cant do anything for you (BLAME!), sorry“. I hate this message, because its a pain in the ass to readvertise these failed softwarepackages on a single computer. As some posts earlier mentioned, I am writing an administration webapplication to administrate our environment. This includes softwaredeployment too. We address our softwarepackages by Active Directory groups. Every time we create a new softwarepackage, we create a seperate computer collection in SCCM and link it to a newly created ad group. Every member of this ad group (computers for instance) gets the linked software by SCCM. While it’s a bit difficult to get some automation into the readvertisement with all these groups and links, we wrote a script, that is triggered by my webgui and does this job on the client computer…

Weiterlesen Powershell – SCCM – Readvertise a previously installed softwarepackage remotly (not from console)

Active Directory – Supersonic and the directory searcher

Whats the difference between supersonic and the directory searcher? Nothing, because if you get over ~1000 you crash into a wall. 🙂 Last week we had to deal with the limitations on the directory searcher. We performed a user search on an organizational unit (subtree) with more than 1000 users beneath. We where astonished that our userobject only contained 1000 items every time we did the search. I wrote a little test script in powershell to reproduce this behaviour and to see if this limitation is a C# problem or not. So I wrote this script:

As expected, powershell returned only 1000 objects. Then we tried to find out why and looked at the $objSearcher property list.

As you can see, there are two interesting properties: sizelimit and pagesize. So I played around with these two properties and found some explanations for them. Sizelimit is the limit for the maximum returned results, but you can’t set this property above 1000. So I looked at the second property, pagesize. This property sets the maximum result items per returned page. So all you have to do is, set sizelimit to 0 and set pagesize to 1000 and you will get…

Weiterlesen Active Directory – Supersonic and the directory searcher